Wednesday, September 06, 2006

MacBook Pro Annoyances

I have quite a few annoyances with this that I feel I have to vent. Sorry to anyone who doesn't have a MacBook Pro, but if you have one you'll know where I'm coming from, and if you're thinking of getting one read through these before doing it.

Hardware

  • No delete key, (in OSX FN+Backspace is delete); how inconvenient is that?!
  • There is a processor idle whine, which my sister's computer suffers from, it drives me mental which is why I play music quite loudly to cover it up
  • There is no card reader, but this is solved by Bluetooth
  • There are only 2 USB ports
  • There is no S-Video out
  • The screen doesn't go very far back and as such is quite difficult to use on my lap
  • The bottom is hot enough to fry two eggs and maybe half a rasher of bacon
OSX Mode
  • In OSX it is impossible to close the lid without making the laptop go to sleep; unless you pay a few dollars for a program called SleepLess. The annoying reminder windows turned out to be more annoying than the sleep problem
  • Enter doesn't run the selected file, it renames the file
  • I can't write to NTFS partitions
  • I seemed to have filled my HDD even though I only have 33GB of music. Where has the rest of the space gone?!?
  • I don't know all the ins and outs, nooks and crannies, and all relevant caveats of the OS to be completely confident and to fix weird happenings
Windows Mode
  • Unstable
  • The keyboard backlight doesn't work
  • Windows Live Messenger is highly unstable on it
  • Starcraft won't install on it (but runs in OSX anyway)
  • Had to remap one of the Keypad Enter Key to Delete to get a delete key. CTRL ALT DEL is indispensible in Windows
Don't get me wrong, I love my MacBook Pro; but the above problems prevent it from being perfect.